Our Heritage  / Special Places Project


Rivers / Daly Site Inventory  /  Page 3:
Churches, Cemeteries and Public Places


444.B.1.Knox United Church

Construction Date:  1909

Location:  Main & 4th

Origins:

Knox Presbyterian Congregation

Contractor: T.F. Shannon
Donald MacKinnon (one of the first to set foot on the site of Rivers) (Candy maker and former brick layer) helped

Features:

-  1920 photo on site
- 1956 – original tower removed
- small window on roof slope


444.B.2. St. James Anglican

Construction Date: 

Location:  580 Columbia Street


Origins:



Features:



444.F.1. War Memorial

Construction Date:  1927

Location:  Second Avenue

Origins:

Dedicated by Major H.O.B. Ketchen
Legion took over care of the Memorial in 1930


Features:


444.F.3. Rivers Cemetery

Construction Date:  1909

Location:  SE 25-12-21

Origins:

- 1909 Municipality at request of Board of Trade asks GTP for 10 acres.
- Fenced in 1911

Features:


444.F.2. Roseville Cemetery

Construction Date:  1884

Location:   NE 28-11-20

Origins:

 - site of Roseville Church - first church in Daly
 - Land donated by James Varcoe

Features:


444.F.4. Pendennis Cairn

Construction Date:  1964

Location:  SW 5-12-20


Origins:

- marks site of  small village on the CPR branch line from Brandon to Lenore – 1902.
- replaced earlier community at the crossing of the Little Saskatchewan River to the west.

Features:


444.J.2. Rivers Lawn Bowling Building

Construction Date:  1938

Location: 



Origins:


Features:




444.E.6. Chapman Museum

Construction Date:  1970

Location:  NE 28-11-20

Origins:

Albert Chapman

Features:

-  Pendennis Station, Harrow School, Roseville Church
- other buildings representing the history of the region

More info...



444.K.4. Rink

Construction Date: 

Location:  100 Columbia Street


Origins:


Features:

 
444.K.1. Fair Grounds

Construction Date:  1970

Location:  West end


Origins:


Features:

- entrance structure
- display / concession buildings